2018 the Year of the Doula


As we enter into a new year, I'm doing the usual things of setting goals, making plans and taking in the excitement of the possibilities of what's to come. I am of course also reflecting on the past year- a year I took more chances and leaps than I ever had before. I said goodbye to many things that no longer served me well and allowed myself for the first time (in a long time) to have faith and enjoy the ride. You see this past year was my first year doula-ing full time.

My doula journey actually started almost four years ago as I was nearing the end of my pregnancy with my third child, I found myself constantly searching for resources, watching videos because I didn't just want a doula present at my birth, I wanted to become one. By the time my son was four months old I was enrolled. That part was somewhat clear to me- I LOVE birth, everything about birth and knew supporting families through their experience was what I wanted to do. I also enrolled in the postpartum doula programme at the same time and this role was a little less clear to me. What would it look like and would anyone in my small town need a service like this....

Photo by Tim Bish on Unsplash

Birth culture in Canada is changing, many families are finding themselves looking for additional resources to compliment or fill in the gaps. Enter the birth doula, providing many facets of continuous support as an addition to your birth team (not in replacement of anyone). Being a birth doula is sort of like being a chameleon, it's a dynamic and fluid role and looks different for each client. And that's the beauty, a doula can really individualize the care and support depending on each family needs. The benefits aren't limited to just the birthing woman but her partner or support person and the ability to fill the space with kindness, quiet confidence and compassion among a host of comfort measures. The value of a doula isn't weighted in a certain outcome, in fact doulas have no agenda for your birth and provide the same level of support no matter who your primary healthcare provider or what your birth plan is.

The birth doula has become an increasingly well known and important part of the birth team recognized by both expecting families and care providers alike. Enter in the postpartum doula. So what's the difference? A postpartum doula is trained specifically to support the first few days, weeks up to the first year after baby is born. They typically do not attend the birth (unless dual trained) but provide the same level of individualized, multi-faceted support for the transition into parenthood. Let's face it no matter how prepared we think we are for life with baby, a little extra help can go a long way. From feeding assistance, to sleep support, emotional reassurance, a little food prep and household tidy up- hiring a postpartum doula to help you and your partner or other support persons navigate this exciting time and ease the transition.

Doulas, whether birth, postpartum or both are certainly on the rise and in demand. Mixing the latest evidenced-based research/information with past traditions to create a modern recipe for care and service for expecting families.

2018 is without a doubt the Year of the Doula!



Comments

Popular Posts